Mineral School Artist Residency

Mineral School Artist Residency
Daydreamer's Journal – installation at Bainbridge Island Museum of Art

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Inking Up! for Social Justice - Small Things Can Add Up

It's been a long time since I posted. I am always waiting for a better moment, a better photo, a clearer thought. Now so many things I want to share have piled up. 

Here's the latest:
First and foremost, I want to share the latest broadsides for Environmental & Social Justice programs. I cannot sit idly by while hundreds and thousands of people, including children, are imprisoned at our Southern border. I cannot abide the attacks, both verbal and physical, on people coming here to seek a better life. If we can each do something small, it will add up to something big. 


These four broadsides were created in collaboration with Rick Jones (NY state). We worked together on theme and content, and then Rick made these beautiful stencils for a two-color print. I printed them on my Vanderook 4 through a process called pressure printing. 

                                     
We picked the quotes through a back and forth process, and Rick had them translated in Spanish through various friends. We were thrilled to be able to print these design in two languages. The type was handset for the English, and Rick had photopolymer plates made for the Spanish.

One of my favorite things about this work with Rick was his addition of the burlap scrap to add texture and definition to the skirt below. 
It's been a learning and rewarding process to collaborate across space, and with Rick in particular. He has talent and caring and a willingness to let me print by the seat of my pants! 

We are asking for donations, either directly, or through us, to either R.A.I.C.E.S. (Refugee and Immigration Center for Educational and Legal Services), or to the Florence Project (Florence Immigration and Refugee rights project), or the ACLU and in return 
we will send you one of these broadsides - you choose! 
And as a reminder - 
you can donate any amount for a broadside. 
We do not ask the amount - it is totally up to you. 
We pay the shipping from our own pocket, 
it does not come out of the donations.

This collaboration with Rick Jones are my 4th and 5th Inking Up! for Environmental & Social Justice projects. If you'd like to know when the next one happens and what it looks like, follow this blog, or my May Day Press Facebook page. I am trying to do one or two a year. It's been a rewarding experience for me to make work and give 100% to a worthy cause, no strings attached.  

Thanks for reading, and for caring. I'll post again, sooner than later.



No comments:

Post a Comment