Mineral School Artist Residency

Mineral School Artist Residency
Daydreamer's Journal – installation at Bainbridge Island Museum of Art

Sunday, October 29, 2017

What the Plants Say

I have been working on this little book Root, Leaf, & Flower for a quite a while. The boco printing was done a year ago, but the letterpress just added. I haven't sewn one together yet, but all the pages are ready now.

I had some different thoughts about it when I first started the boco printing process from the plants. And it took me a while to realize those ideas were a dead end for me.

It started with the idea of a sampler – each plant isolated on its own page. But the result for me is much more than a sampler, it is a song. Each print is unique, the gesture of the plants expressive with hidden images and colors revealed.

I have worked out the stitching on sample papers, but I am not ready to reveal that one yet. And for those of you that have it, this book: Root, Leaf, & Flower will be akin to Plant Dyes from the Kitchen. (below) Plant Dyes from the Kitchen was also published in the fabulous book Thread Loves Paper by Emily Marks.


1 comment: