Mineral School Artist Residency

Mineral School Artist Residency
Daydreamer's Journal – installation at Bainbridge Island Museum of Art

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Are you a daydreamer?



This is the question my new work asks.
It is designed with 6 steel pages mounted to a beautiful piece of wood.
There was welding involved
and spray painting
and lots of trips to the store for more spray paint.
(Only one can per day
because I couldn't think further ahead than that.)


I bought lots of magnetic sheeting
 because how could I know how much I needed? 
I thought I would get photopolymer plates to print my words 
onto the magnetic sheets, 
but again, I could not plan far enough ahead. 
So I set the type by hand 
from my drawer of 24 point Italian Old Style italic. 
The theme is Pacific Northwest nature and daydreaming. 
And a few book making related words. 
Also, for some reason I threw in the word "spoon." 
Now that I am thinking about it, I should add the word chocolate.


My 'dream' came true the first day the book was on the wall, 
even before the show had officially opened. 
(It still hasn't). 
The show is called Open Sesame: 
The Magic of Artist's Books Revealed.
People were making messages, poems, sentences, thoughts. 
They were DAYDREAMING! in front of my book.


Everyone is invited to Daydream. 
#daydreamersjournal
The show opens this Friday, March 8, 2019. 



No comments:

Post a Comment