Mineral School Artist Residency

Mineral School Artist Residency
Daydreamer's Journal – installation at Bainbridge Island Museum of Art

Monday, May 28, 2012

The Light Between Things


I am finishing up my Spring quarter class at Evergreen State College. The class is called: Radical Amazement–Interrogating the Everyday through Poetry and Video Essay. Our midterm was a collaborative video essay, and our final was a solo video essay. For both, it was preferred we use still photographs only, so I did. If your want to see them, they are posted here:  https://vimeo.com/42939757
Let me know what you think.

Here is my artist statement:

The Light Between Things

Our every day, as well as the everydayness of our experience, is under the influence of our perceptions and judgments of what reality is. As a young child I believed that waking reality was not real at all, but a dream to awaken from. This was a belief I could not easily shake as I grew older. The beliefs we cling to, effect the way we see the world, and distortions viewed from one person’s perspective are reality to another. Insomnia, dreaming, and the beliefs in-between them – are explored in this lyrical, meditative essay.

I took many photographs at night to practice with a new camera, and to my surprise these became the images I wanted for the video. I discovered that images shot with varying high resolutions could express the way realness is sometimes not very crisp, but rather dreamy. Sounds of nature are heard in the background, both grounding and meditative, they serve as representatives of portals to other ways of experiencing.

While writing the text, I had ideas about what ambient noise and images I wanted for the video, but they didn’t make meaning for me until I trusted my instinct and just starting weaving them together. As in a dream, I felt carried on a tide of nonsensical choices and happenings. The trust in my creative instinct was the greatest reward in the making of The Light Between Things.



1 comment:

  1. i saw this the other day and just returned to read AND view your video. catherine, it is so beautiful. i love how it has room inside it, like a dream, to know many things. oh, it's so fine!

    ReplyDelete